Held at:

Michaelchurch Escley Parochial Church Council




Original Document


Digital Archive [INDEX]: Michaelchurch Escley Register of Baptisms 1873 - 1910

Place name:

Michaelchurch Escley


1837 - 1910


Photographs of the Michaelchurch Escley Register of Baptisms for the years 1873 to 1910 can be downloaded as a pdf document here .


Michaelchurch Escley baptisms registers are blank between 5th January 1879 and 22nd July 1894, which occur as sequential entries on page 7 of the register with no break, and those of St Margarets are also blank between January 1879 and July 1894.
This blank period broadly corresponds to the entire tenure of the Rev F T Wybrow when the two livings were annexed in the rural deanery of Weobley, although Michaelchurch does have entries by Rev Wybrow from 22 June 1878 to 5th January 1879, followed without break in the register by a 22 July 1894 entry by the Rector of Bacton.

Rev Wybrow's tenure seems to have run from mid 1878 to mid 1894; Littlebury's Directory of 1876-7 records the position as vacant, while the Kelly's and Post Office Directories of 1879 record the Rev Frederick Trefusis Wybrow BA of Trinity College Dublin as Vicar of Michaelchurch Escley. The 1885 Kelly's Directory has Rev Wybrow as vicar since 1878, as does the 1890 Jakeman & Carvers Directory, while the 1895 Kelly's Directory shows Rev John Frederick Walwyn Trumper BA of St John's College, Cambridge was in the post in 1895.
Rev Wybrow appears to have registered burials and marriages in the normal way in both parishes throughout the period of his tenure, and the reason he did not follow the same practice for baptisms is not known.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_mic_0279